08 December Thailand Commemoration of WPFC 2020 and Human Rights Day
Organised by the Embassy in Thailand, in collaboration with Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand (FCCT).
The embassy, in collaboration with the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand (FCCT), is organising an event on 8 December to raise attention to the World Press Freedom Conference 2020 (WPFC 2020) and also to commemorate the International Human Rights Day on 10 December. The event will be a 2-hour function, featuring a networking and a panel discussion around the WPFC theme of ‘Journalism without Fear or Favour’ by five representative renown journalists to reflect on the situation in the region.
The panel line-up includes:
- Matthew Tostevin, Editor, Southeast Asia, Reuters
- Gwen Robinson, President, FCCT, and editor-at-large, Nikkei Asia *
- Tan Hui Yee, Indochina bureau chief, Straits Times
- Thompson Chau, Chief reporter and associate editor, Myanmar Times *
- Johanna Son, Founder/editor - Reporting ASEAN
Moderator: Jonathan Head, BBC
One specific focus will be the relevance of the COVID-19 pandemic, during which ‘special measures’ limiting media have been implemented in the name of public health interest. The outbreak reveals just how important free, safe and independent media are. The debate session will be recorded, an edited version will be sent to the Hague as a contribution to the WPFC.
There will also be a parallel exhibition by the Next Movement which features a collection of 15 political cartoons to be displayed for two weeks (in the hallway of FCCT). The exhibition will also be available online in a form of a virtual newsroom, with an option for the audience to comment and interact with the cartoonists from the region.
- The event will be livestreamed on FCCT Facebook on 8 December, from 7pm Thailand time at https://www.facebook.com/FCCThailand/
- The embassy will also share the livestream on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/netherlandsembassybangkok
- The online exhibition called ‘Virtual Newsroom’ will start from 8 December, where people can view the cartoon exhibition and make comments. It can be accessed via this link or via this QR code!